ifconfig and routing tables

Package:  netbase
Version:  1.20-1

I believe this message is headed for the debian-bugs list, but since I'm
treading on very thin ice here, I decided to submit it to debian-users
first, in case I'm just doing something, or expecting something, wrong.

The problem is that ifconfig doesn't seem to be feeding netstat very
much (or the right) information.

My /etc/init.d/network file is pretty simple:
# Start of network
ifconfig lo
ifconfig eth0 soos netmask
# End of network

(I would have used the script that came with the base disks, but I could
never figure out how to fill in all the variables, given that I use
dynamic addressing with my ppp link.)

My /etc/hosts file is equally simple:
# Start of hosts	lo localhost	soos		# local name of this machine	doug		# Doug's machine	hplj            # The HP LaserJet JetDirect interface
#	tiac-gw	zork.tiac.net	# mail server; also called zork	mvy.tiac.net	# also called mvy	sundog.tiac.net	# news server
# End of hosts.

I invoke routed -s in netstd_init.

When I look at netstat before invoking pppd, I see only one line, and
that line goes to the local network (  I see nothing for
'localhost', and nothing for 'soos'.

Then after I invoke pppd, I see some entries but only one new IP address.

I don't know enough to know if this isn't right, but it sure doesn't look
like it used to when I was running R5.

The script below shows the details:

Script started on Wed Oct 25 21:35:27 1995
bash# netstat -nr
Kernel routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref Use    Iface   U     0      0        3 eth0
bash# pppd
bash# netstat -nr
Kernel routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref Use    Iface UH    0      0        0 ppp0   U     0      0        4 eth0         UG    0      0        1 ppp0
Script done on Wed Oct 25 21:36:43 1995

I expected that 'localhost' would have had an entry, that the Gateway fields
would have been filled in, and that 'soos' would have had an entry.
Is this an incorrect expectation, or is ifconfig/routed/netstat misbehaving?

Furthermore, sendmail won't work unless I manually intervene with
route add lo.  Surely something is amiss.

Susan Kleinmann

ii  dpkg             1.0.5 0    Package maintenance system for Debian GNU/Linux
ii  base            0.93.6 10   Debian Base System Miscellaneous Files
ii  source          1.2.13 4    Linux kernel source.