Re: post-release package update policy

> David> I really only see a need for two trees -- one stable a.out and
> David> one experimental ELF.  IMO, the experimental a.out tree should
> David> only be a short-term repository for bug fixes to be checked out
> David> by developers or beta testers before going into the stable
> David> tree.
>
> There are independent libraries, a basic level of kernel support, and
> different compiler targets.  How do ELF and a.out conflict?

They do not conflict as such, but on the long term we have to have
the ELF packages in a FSSTND compliant location, i.e. /lib and /usr/lib.
In the current situation, the ELF development packages all go under
/usr/i486-linuxelf/, and the binaries are all named *-elf. This is a
temporary solution. One day the ELF release will have to make the
almost irreversible step of moving into these locations and abandoning
a.out support (or we'll have to move to a /usr/i486-linuxaout structure).
This causes problems for people who's /usr is on a different partition
than /.

Ray
--
PATRIOTISM  A great British writer once said that if he had to choose
between betraying his country and betraying a friend he hoped he would