Re: post-release package update policy

>>>>> "David" == David Engel <david@ods.com> writes:

David> I really only see a need for two trees -- one stable a.out and
David> one experimental ELF.  IMO, the experimental a.out tree should
David> only be a short-term repository for bug fixes to be checked out
David> by developers or beta testers before going into the stable
David> tree.

There are independent libraries, a basic level of kernel support, and
different compiler targets.  How do ELF and a.out conflict?

David> However, has anyone else
David> noticed that Debian is now the only major Linux distribution
David> that has not converted to ELF?  I haven't seen it publicized
David> much, but even Linus has switched to ELF!

Yes!  ELF is a fundemental improvement, but not a fundamental change.
There isn't a need to "switch".