re:post-release package update policy

>Others suggest that we should keep doing what we're doing now--that
>is, as packages are released, we should move them into debian-0.93.
>The advantage of this approach is that users are guaranteed to have
>all fixed and updated packages at the time they download the
>distribution.  The disadvantage is that a release of Debian GNU/Linux
>becomes a constantly moving and shifting target instead of something
>tangible.  Alot of people complain that this is a major problem with
>how we make releases.

Why do you need a specific "release" at all?  I'm quite happy running dftp
periodically and updating my machine on the fly.  That's what I really love
about debian, the fact that you can usually install a new package without
too much grief.

The version number of the current release is really not useful for me.
I'm upgrading packages on a continuous basis.  However, in all fairness,
I must also add that I will continue to upgrade in this fashion no matter
which approach you take.  (As long as dftp supports it... Brian?)

Behan Webster

Behan Webster                  | The opinions expressed above are mine and |
behanw@bnr.ca                  | in no way reflect those of BNR or N@RTEL. |