Re: MidNight Commander anyone?

On Sun, 22 Oct 1995, Winfried Truemper wrote:
>"git" is a GNU-tool with the old philosohy "learn all 74 keystrokes
>or you loose".
>"mc" is a GNU-tool (owned by FSF!) of a (hopefully) new generation with a
>fancy and very functional menuing-system.
>
>The differences between git and mc are not the working (or not
>working) function keys.

I'm sorry Win, but I just don't get it.

git - A split screen directory brouser with a menu of function keys at the
bottom of the screen, used to copy, move, delete, view and otherwise manage
files.

mc - A split screen directory brouser with a menu of function keys at the
bottom of the screen, used to copy, move, delete, view and otherwise manage
files.

There are some functional differences in the features supplied by each but
if your only complaint is that git doesn't use the same function keys as
Norton Commander and Midnight Commander (aka Mouseless Commander) there
isn't much I can say. With that kind of attitude we would all still be using
wordstar on a CPM system.

Don't get me wrong, I have loved Norton Commmander in the DOS world for
almost 20 years. When I came to Linux, I found MC almost right away and have
used it with success. However, each time that I have installed it, I have
had to run around setting up permissions in order to get it to work, or
search for the right version of ncurses, or some other makefile problems
that have kept things from building properly.

What originally attracted me to Debian was that, unlike SLS or Slackware,
most outside packages build properly and work fine. As a result I will
always choose a product that works "out of the box" over one with more
features that requires major effort to get it to work.

BTW, I was not aware that mc was a GNU product. I thought it was built by
Miguel at the University of Mexico.

If I didn't get your message clearly, please feel free to correct me :-)

YHS, Dale