Re: Help with a PS/2 installation (.91 Beta)

JEFFREY SAVOY writes ("Help with a PS/2 installation (.91 Beta)"):
> I am trying to install Linux on a PS/2 model 70
> with a Token ring card.
>
> I have found a Debian .91 Beta release (patched) that will
> reconize the PS/2's ESDI drive.  However, I cannot
> get any of the packages found on ftp.debian.org
> to install.
>
> When I do dpkg --add includes-1.2.13-5 for example, I
> get:
>
> dpkg: there is no description for the package includes-1.2.13-5
> Approximate uncompressed size: bytes.
>
> Installing includes-1.2.13-5...done.
> dpkg: includes-1.2.13-5 is not an installed package.
>
> I believe that my old dpkg and lack of a dselect program is
> causing the packages not to load (I really need g++ installed).

This is a very old version of dpkg indeed.

> Can I ftp a new version of dpkg and/or dselect?

It's possible that you can use the version of dpkg that you have to
install a more recent one.  The latest, dpkg-1.0.5.deb, is available
in the same places as dpkg-1.0.5.tar.gz.

I think, though, that you would be wiser trying to use the working
kernel image you have found to boot a more modern Debian boot/root
disk set.

You'll need a local guru on-hand to help, I think.

> I tried compling the source of dpkg-1.0.5.tar.gz on
> another 386 running g++ 2.4 libc.so 4.5.26 and Linux 1.1.54 but
> I got complier errors.

Your GCC is too old, I think.  It shoud work with 2.5.2 or later, at
least.

> NOTE- I could not get the new version of Debian to install.

Perhaps this might be a better start.  Bruce, can we have a PS/2-ESDI
boot disk ?  Can someone tell Jeffrey how to build one himself ?

Ian.