Re: post-release package update policy

>Some suggest that it would be best to leave debian-0.93 alone after
>the release, and that instead of moving new and updated packages into
>debian-0.93, we should put them in a different (but easily-accessible)
>tree, such as debian-updates-0.93.  The advantage of this approach is
>that it gives users access to both the "released" and completely up to
>date distributions.  The disadvantage is that users would have to make
>a decision as to which of them to install.

I, personally, like to be given choices. Being asked to make a decision is
not a disadvantage to me! If I were asked to make more decisions during
installation, and it made the installation more appropriate as a result, I
would consider that to be an advantage

>Others suggest that we should keep doing what we're doing now--that
>is, as packages are released, we should move them into debian-0.93.
>The advantage of this approach is that users are guaranteed to have
>all fixed and updated packages at the time they download the
>distribution.

This is true only for those who have the bandwidth to download everything in
one session! I have worked for 4 nights over the last few weeks and still
don't have all the essentials updated yet, not to mention all the frills!
Having a stable set of directories to work from would let me put together "a
specific" distribution whos pieces should all work together. The only reason
a user should need to upgrade would be if some portion of the distribution
did not work for it. (it = the gender neutral term for user)

>  The disadvantage is that a release of Debian GNU/Linux
>becomes a constantly moving and shifting target instead of something
>tangible.

Although not the only reason, this has been one of the contributing factors
to my thrashing about creating problems for myself instead of moving toward
a stable system. I don't have lots of time to put in at one time on this
project (I have a day job) so incrimental approaches to completion are the
only option for me

>  Alot of people complain that this is a major problem with
>how we make releases.

You can count me in this group!

Thanks, Dale