Network trouble with netscape [was: backspace in netscape]

"MED" == Michael E Deisher <deisher@enws428.EAS.ASU.EDU> writes:

  MED> On Thu, 19 Oct 1995 14:08:45 -0400 (EDT), jy11@prism.gatech.edu (Junebug) said:
  >> oh yeah one more question: anyone has any idea why netscape 1.12 or
  >> 2.0 won't have the backspace key working? it's mapped to delete, and
  >> i thought i mapped them right with netscape's own file.

  MED> Did you set the environment variable that tells netscape where to look
  MED> for XKeySymDB?  After I did this, it worked for me.

  MED> While we're on the subject, has anyone else had trouble getting
  MED> Netscape 2.0b1 to lookup up IP addresses???  All my other net-related
  MED> apps have no trouble, but Netscape cant find anything that's not in
  MED> /etc/hosts.  I'm using Debian 0.93R6 and my host.conf has "order
  MED> hosts,bind" in it.  The local (over PPP) name servers are listed in
  MED> resolv.conf.

  MED> --Mike

   Strictly out of curiosity I downloaded libc-4.7.5.bin.tar.gz from
tsx-11, just to see if as I had been told that would allow me to run
Nestape 2.0b1:

        libc.so.4 => libc.so.4.7.5[tofu]
        libcurses.so.0 => libcurses.so.0.1.2[tofu]
        libm.so.4 => libm.so.4.6.27[tofu]

   Indeed, 2.0b1 appears to work OK now that I have these three files
sitting in my /lib directory, but I don't want to keep these three
files in my /lib directory, not only because they are not part of the
Debian distribution but also because common sense tells me I would
probably be courting disaster.

   I am not advocating that libc-4.7.5 be resuscitated and
incorporated into Debian GNU/Linux, but I am interested to know if
there any way I can use these three files on a one-time-only basis to
convert this dynamically-linked Netscape 2.0b1 binary into a static
binary, after which I could dispense with them.

  Bill