Re: dialups

Thomas Kocourek:
   ... All went well and I got the file ok, but two side effects (no
   doubt due to my ignorance) - 1) cua3 became owned by the guest
   account with permissions set to 644 & 2) the bash shell did not die
   when he hung up the line. SO, 1) how do I prevent the guest account
   from owning the modem, and 2) how do I get bash to die when the
   line is hung up?

Bash seems to terminate properly for me...  I wonder if your modem and
cable deliver the right signals to your system.  If the system never
receives a signal from the modem that indicates it's hung-up, it won't
know to do anything special.

The easiest way I know of to check this out is to use the
(unfortunately not quite free because "you're supposed to buy the
book") kermit package.  Kermit can be obtained by anonymous ftp from
kermit.columbia.edu, as kermit/linux/kermit-190-5.deb.  In kermit, you
say something like:

  set line /dev/ttyS0
  show comm

The display should end with something like:

 Carrier Detect      (CD):  Off
 Dataset Ready       (DSR): Off
 Clear To Send       (CTS): Off
 Ring Indicator      (RI):  Off
 Data Terminal Ready (DTR): On
 Request to Send     (RTS): On

If it doesn't check your modem manual (and maybe check your cable).

There's probably a way of checking the status of these lines using
just a standard debian system, but I don't know what it is.

--
Raul