Re: Outgoing Modem Configuration

Dale Scheetz:
   More to the point, though, I really would like to be able to dial
   out on my modem. When I try to set up a ppp connection, the dial
   out happens and when the other end picks up the line, my end drops
   it.

This sounds familiar.  The short story is that (at least till this is
resolved) you'll have to shut down getty while you're using ppp.

I think if you put a -v option on chat (in /etc/ppp/ppp-connect -- the
last line) then look at the resulting log file, you'll see that getty
is responding to the remote system.  Of course, since the remote
system doesn't know what to do about your login prompt things
deteriorate fairly rapidly.  To say nothing of the contention between
ppp and login at your end.

However, I'm not 100% sure that this is what's happening.  The system
I observed this on was a fairly old debian system...

Also >>BE CAREFUL<< with this chat -v option.  It will make your ppp
login and password appear in /var/log/messages.  This would be a
problem on a multi-user system.

[Also note: syslog, by default, isn't configured to log the "local2"
messages that some instances of ppp emit.  I seem to recall that you
need to edit some configuration file to enable any debugging messages
from ppp -- read the ppp doc for details.]

   I get similar but more bizzar results when I try to use
   Minicom. Sometimes it connects but doesn't know it and behaves like
   a realllly slooooow telnet link. I really need to make this work.

Contention with getty/login could account for this, I think.

Remember, take all of this with a grain of salt.  I've been wrong
before.

--
Raul