Outgoing Modem Configuration

Ok, I know this is a fast moving target, but my system is almost a week old
(all obtained from ftp.debian.org/debian/binary/... and in that time dpkg
has been upgraded at least twice. I suppose that I am having the same
problem with getty. The manual pages describe agetty but all I can find is
getty. The man page on the web (and on my machine) suggests additional
information will be necessary (but does not give it) if inittab has
"respawn" in it. Mine does! Asside from being confused, I still can't get my
modem to work outgoing (the examples in agetty(8) are for a dial in modem.
I can understand the copyright issues but getty_ps is the getty used in the
How To section on serial ports and has worked for me in the past. The
copyright notice is a little confusing, as it indicates that you can
distribut the product but not market it. Those seem to me to be the same
think, although the implication is that if you market it you get paid for
it....Duuuh? The product is available on several CD releases from InfoMagic
and others (and I paid for the CDs)so I don't quite follow the legal
ramifications.
More to the point, though, I really would like to be able to dial out on my
modem. When I try to set up a ppp connection, the dial out happens and when
the other end picks up the line, my end drops it. I get similar but more
bizzar results when I try to use Minicom. Sometimes it connects but doesn't
know it and behaves like a realllly slooooow telnet link. I really need to
make this work. Switching back to Windblows every time I want to get on the
net is really the pits.
Thanks, YHS, Dale