Re: Debian vs. BOGUS

   As I see it, Debian users have the following situation:

         original materials

                V                            Debian changes
          +-----------+                             |
          +-----+-----+                             |
    ============|===================================|====================
                |                                   V            USER
                V                          (2) debian.diffs.gz
     (1) debianized.original.tar.gz                 |
                +--------------------------->| Process 1/A |
                |                            +------+------+
                V                                   |
        ------------------                          V
        debian.rules build                   original materials?
        ------------------

        -------------------
        debian.rules binary
        -------------------

    (3) debianized.original.deb

   Files downloadable by Debian users are labeled (1), (2), and (3) in
this picture.

   I think the point Karl has been making is that while this makes it
nice for people who do not have to worry about what is in the original
materials, it does not make it so nice for someone who, say, for some
reason has to remove some function F from the original materials and
replace it with a 100% clone F' because, in fact, it is not possible
to guarantee that what comes out of Process 1/A will be identical to
the original material.

   Clearly, the best way to guarantee the identity of the original
materials is to deliver them intact, something like this:

               original materials         Debian changes
       ===============|========================|========================
                      |                        |                USER
                      V                        |
            (1) original.src.tar.gz            V
                      |                  (2) debian.diffs.gz
                      V                        |
                ------------------             |
                debian.rules "apply" <---------+
                ------------------

                ------------------
                debian.rules build
                ------------------

                -------------------
                debian.rules binary
                -------------------

           (3) debianized.original.deb

   Files downloadable by Debian users are labeled (1), (2), and (3) in
this picture.

    I feel more comfortable with the second picture than the first
because to not deliver the original materials intact seems to me to go
against the grain of the rule of education and research that enjoins
us to hew to the primary sources.

    Moreover, one might argue, because the `.deb' file ultimately
produced is the same in either case, and because the vast majority of
Debian users will be using only `.deb' files, why not deliver the
original materials intact and leave it up to the interested user to
apply the Debian diffs or not as they choose?

    I think that is a nontrivial question and for that reason I hope
Debian reserves the right to reconsider its policy regarding this
matter at some time in the future.

    Cordially,
    Bill