Re: dselect .70 install and background

Guido M. Witmond writes ("dselect .70 install and background"):
> I ran into the following problem:
>
> [...]
>   I chose the Z-suspend option to
> examine the files but here dselect went haywire. It came back with the
> menu with the cursor positioned on the Configure option.
> The process list showed a suspended dpkg.
>
> In order to recover I had quit dselect and used a kill -CONT <pid> to
> restart the dpkg. It did ask about some config-file conflicts but
> didn't wait for me to type, I think it had lost its tty-input somehow.

Urgh !

> Is there something i did wrong?

No.

> Shouldn't I do a suspend in dpkg when started from dselect?

Yes, this should work.

> Could dselect just fork of a new shell instead of suspending itself?

It could do.  However, suspending is better, I think, as it doesn't
have the same modality problems as a subshell.

> By the way, i started dselect with: user@host % sudo dselect
> And both mine and roots login shells are the tcsh.

Hmm.  I can't reproduce the problem.  When I type `Z' at the conffiles
prompt all of dselect and dpkg get suspended, and I see:
[1]+  Stopped                 sudo dselect
followed by my prompt.  When I `fg' the sudo I get the prompt back.

This works with tcsh and bash, and with and without sudo.

The screen display is admittedly unsatisfactory, in that ncurses (in
dselect) seems to switch to the full-screen page and so you don't see
the message that dpkg produces after you type Z RETURN, but I think I
can fix that or get the ncurses people to do so, and the symptoms
aren't anything like those you describe.

I'm using dselect in an xterm.  What are you doing ?

Ian.