Re: dpkg 0.93.71: conffile handling bugfix &c

Bill Mitchell writes (on debian-devel):
> Ian Jackson <iwj10@cus.cam.ac.uk> said:
> [...]
> >   * dselect checks method scripts for execute, not for write.
>
> As of [0.93.71], dselect is still out of operation.
> Any idea when it'll be usable again?

What is wrong with it ?  It works for me.  Remember that you have to
delete any old-style access methods in /usr/lib/dpkg/methods and
/usr/local/lib/dpkg/methods - the dpkg package now comes with its own
methods, and those two directories should be empty, apart from
/usr/lib/dpkg/methods/disk.

If you get a message like:
 dselect: unable to access method script
 `/usr/local/lib/dpkg/methods/hd/install': No such file or directory
it means you have present an old set of method scripts, which you
should move aside (`cd /usr/local/lib/dpkg; mv methods/hd hd.old').

CD Rasmussen writes ("Re: Where is dselect?"):
> I know we have discussed this in the past but I need a refresher.
> During the install, after booting from my newly created boot floppy, I
> eventually arrive at a dselect screen.
> I then exit dselect and with dpkg install devel/ncurses-runtime* then
> base/dpkg*.
>
> If I then run dselect again, the setup quits with an error about no
> methods.

What version of the dpkg package are you using ?  What version of the
base disks did you use ?  Versions 0.93.68 and onwards contain dselect
methods.

Ian.