Re: upgrade problem

Hi Ray,

> Several of my binaries (e.g. "less") depend on /usr/i486-linuxelf/lib/
> {libcurses.so.1,libtermcap.so.2}, which aren't present anymore in
> elf-libc-5.24-1.deb.
>
> I know that elf-ncurses can be used instead curses,
> but I don't know how. Can it be done by makeing some symbolic links,
> or do I need to recompile these packages? If so, does this require
> any changes other than specifying that libncurses be used?

No, ncurses is not binary compatible with the old curses/termcap so
symlinks won't help you there.  All you should need to do is recompile
and link with ncurses.

> Is there a replacement for termcap, or will there be a termcap
> package?

Yes, ncurses!  Supposedly, ncurses provides full support for curses,
termcap and termlib (terminfo?).  I just built less with it and it
seems to work fine.

BTW, I forgot to specify the soname in the ncurses package I uploaded
so expect to relink anything you may have already built with it.  I'll
upload a new version tomorrow or Friday.

> In view of the interest in ELF, maybe you can give an answer on
> debian-user?

OK.  I expected some feedback from my ELF ncurses announcement but
haven't received any yet.  I haven't heard back from Zeyd yet either.

David