Re: An odd thing when updating X11R6...

On Wed, 9 Aug 1995, Ian Jackson wrote:

> > playing dependency watchdog, after all--but I can't seem to find the "do
> > as I say, or else" switch.  Is there one?
> No, but it's on the wishlist.  grep the dselect source for `fixme'.

Will do.

> You can override dselect's ideas of what to do by using capital
> letters of various kinds.  Try using `h' and browsing the list of
> keystrokes.  There will be more information about this in the help
> screens.

I'll check into this.  I have to admit to having minimalist tendencies
that make dpkg more appealing.

> Is this other Info reader a Debian package ?  If not, why not ? :-)

Well, the other info reader is the JED editor.  I actually have a
debianised package for jed, but it's in ELF as it depends on my
debianised shared library for slang, which is also ELF.

I've done 99% of the work for both of these, but haven't had the time to
finish that last 1% (mostly fancier stuff like intelligent handling of
conffiles), and since they're in ELF, I didn't think they were
appropriate to put out as yet.

I plan to get them 100% this weekend, and if the ftp server is back up, I
can make 'em available to those using ELF.

Oh, and as a side note, I have a mirror of debian at
lot49.med.miami.edu:/pub/debian, though I have to ask that people take it
easy during the day or I'll have to disallow access --- it's the Pentium
90 on my desk, so it has to stay usable.

> (The existence of `info' at the start of the dependency list is often
> important to get the default right - see the various *.txt files in
> project/standards.)

I did a lot of work with this about ten days ago (got two days off from
work because of the hurricane that didn't hit Miami), but haven't gotten
around to finishing --- and since it's my first package, my progress
isn't as fast as I'd like.

Mike.
--
"Cigarettes, ice cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary."