FSSTND (was "Re: Latex/Tex / dpkg remark")

Ian McCloghrie <imcclogh@cs.ucsd.edu> writes:

>> From the FSSTND draft:
>> Static data includes binaries, libraries, documentation, and anything
>> that does not change without system administrator intervention.
>> Variable data is anything that does change without the system
>> administrator's intervention.

> It sounds to me as if these font files are likely to change without
> intervention, which suggests placing them on /var.  Of course, if
> they're to be shared over the network, they can't be placed there.

I hope the FSSTND draft is not that difficult to figure out (it isn't),
but Ian's interpretation is *right* on target.

Even with /var as a local filesystem, files can still be sent to or
retrieved from a central server.  /usr must retain the ability to be
exported read-only.  Anything which is going to be written/changed
non-interactively should go to /var (or root in some special cases.)

--

The first public version of the FSSTND (filesystem standard) is now
available for anonymous FTP.  An announcement on c.o.l.announce should

The filesystem standard is *not* an end-user document.  It is only really
intended to be used by those who develop Linux distributions, packages,
documentation, etc.  It is subject to change and well, it has a fair
distance to go before we are completely finished (I speak of volume more
so than quality/content).

The draft is available through anonymous ftp at:

   tsx-11.mit.edu:/pub/linux/docs/linux-standards/fsstnd/

   draft-1.0.dvi.gz   DVI version
   draft-1.0.ps.gz    PostScript version
   draft-1.0.txt.gz   ASCII version

If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to direct them
towards me or, if your prefer, any contributor listed in the standard.

Thank you.

Dan

--
Daniel Quinlan  <quinlan@spectrum.cs.bucknell.edu>