Re: Latex/Tex / dpkg remark

>Please don't put the fonts in /usr/local.  Consider leaving a minimal
>set of fonts in /usr/lib/texmf/fonts/pk (resp. tfm, resp. vf), and
>create another directory (I call it `local', but that does not matter)
>which is actually a link from a directory under /var.  I don't think

 Not a cance. PK fonts are different on different printers, as there is
absolutly no way of knowing what printer they are going to use, supplying
pre-built fonts is pointless (and a waste of network badwidth).
 Metafont source,vf and tfm however go in /usr/lib/texmf. Reading the FSSTND
draft, as I see it no TeX files sould have a place of perminant residance on
/var (apart from newly generated pk files perhaps).

>On the other hand, one keeps on installing additional
>fonts, neat macros, and so on.

 In which case they go in /usr/local, not /var.

JAB.

Jonathan A. Buzzard,
Physics Department,           Email:-
Heriot-Watt University,            phyjab1@caledonia.hw.ac.uk   InterNet