Re: Latex/Tex / dpkg remark

>"Any large packages (such as TeX and GNU Emacs) should not use a subdirectory
>of /usr. Instead, there should be a subdirectory inside /usr/lib, or
>/usr/local/lib (if it was installed totally locally)."

>So the answer to your question: no, it doesn't follow the FSSTND. Keep in
>mind that /usr is for sharable data and should be capable of being mounted
>or exported read-only, which means that any lockfiles or other variable
>stuff should be coded to go outside /usr (i.e. /var/lock, etc.).

>jonathan

 It's not quite that simple, according to the FSSTND draft, configuration files
that are sharable across a network, etc. should go in somewhare in /usr (look in
Debain 0.91 and you will find all the app-defaults are in /usr). As this applies
to all TeX configuration files, we have a problem. As when you install TeX (at
least in Debain TeX), you generate format files with your own hyphenation
patters etc, all your own fonts, etc. It's not that simple. I think the answer
is to have config files like fonts in /usr/local, with everything else being in
/usr.
 As nobody is yet running Debain from a CD (and frankly they would be nutters to
do so, as it would be so slow), The first release put everything in
/usr/lib/texmf, with fonts going in /usr/local/lib/texmf (I could change for the
first release, but I am sure you want to see it sooner rather than later).
 I will be uploading the first release onto sunsite on Wednesday (It only needs
copying onto floppies now, but I have other things to do tonight).

JAB.

PS. If you want AUC-TeX in then someone else will have to do it, as I don't
    use/understand Emacs (and can't get AUC-TeX to work either).

Jonathan A. Buzzard,
Physics Department,           Email:-
Heriot-Watt University,            phyjab1@caledonia.hw.ac.uk   InterNet
Edinburgh. EH14 4AS                phyjab1@uk.ac.hw.clust       JANET