Re: A few minor points

> > The default fs type compiled into mount & umount is minix. Why not make it
> > ext2? Think if how annoying that is for an experienced unix user that is no
> > familiar with linux.
>
> Usually, I only use mount and umount manually with removable media, in
> which case, I almost always use minixfs. (Have you tried making an ext2fs
> on a floppy?!?!) What would be better: make (u)mount work like fsck and
> have it automatically recognize the filesystem type by attempting to
> mount more than one (default) fs type before giving an error.

I use ext2fs on floppies all the time.  It would be nice if mount
could automagically figure out what kind of fs it was, but I don't
know if there are any "magic numbers" on a dosfs floppy so that might
not be possible.

> > The default values for "make" variables  CC=cc ( should be gcc), YACC=yacc
> > (should be bison -y) etc...
>
> Agreed.

No, /usr/bin/cc -> /usr/bin/gcc, /usr/bin/yacc -> /usr/bin/bison.
This way the make defaults work *and* explicit listings in other
makefiles.

Besides, what if someone installs byacc as /usr/bin/yacc?  They're
going to expect that make will use it by default.

> > IMHO the kernel image should go in the /boot directory. How about
> > /boot/kernel (I thing Solaris does it like this).
>
> Solaris puts the kernel in /kernel/unix. The newest FSSTND draft says
> the kernel can go in either / or /boot, whichever the administrator
> prefers. I keep mine in /boot/zImage.PL.N where PL==patch_level and
> N==version_number, with a symlink from zImage to the current kernel.
> I wrote a short shell script that automatically installs the kernel
> from the source directory using the new filesystem structure, because
> the current 'make zlilo' only works with pre-0.14 versions of lilo and
> doesn't support multiple kernel versions.

I place all my kernel images into /boot as /boot/zvmunix.<version>.
/vmunix is a symlink to my current one.  This seems to work fairly
well.

--
 /~> Ian McCloghrie      |       FLUG:  FurryMUCK Linux User's Group
< <  /~\ |~\ |~> |  | <~ | email: ian@ucsd.edu               Net/2, USL 0!