Configuring serial ports...

  buss@hqrim.sedd.trw.com:
  Can't get Debian .91 to come up on one of my machines. ... When
  booting, the last line to appear is "Configuring Serial Ports".
  After that, it just hangs forever. I have a Microsoft serial mouse
  on "COM1" and a modem on "COM2".

I had this problem, too, and thought I solved it when I removed
/dev/cua2 and /dev/cua3.  However, it turns out that had nothing to do
with the solution in my case.  If I installed debian, dropped back
into the shell and removed /root/dev/cua[23], I still got hung when I
rebooted.

For me the solution was to turn off the power, wait several seconds,
then turn back on the power.

Interestingly enough, I also have a Microsoft serial mouse "COM1".  I
have no idea if this is at all related -- I've not had enough time to
reinstall with that changed to see if it affects my problem.

Raul D. Miller
<rockwell@nova.umd.edu>