[ANNOUNCE] tdapp-defaults: localization and themeing

Dear Debian Developers, Mentors, Womens, Contributors and Users,

first of all Happy new Year and may this new year bring us many new ideas
and continuing best GNU/Linux distribution of the world.

Now, some of you know me already and for those who do not know me:

My Name is Michelle Konzack, I am 38 years old, working since I am 13
years old in the electronic where I have created my first computer, using
a 8039 singelchip CPU with 2 kByte EEPROM programmed in ASM by hand with
a switchboard.

Also I am coding in C, PHP and TCL (I hate this language).

I am Diplom Engineer for Electronic and have my Master in Informatic.

Currently I am Debian GNU/Linux Consultant in Strasbourg and have the
hell with my (TO MUCH) customers because I can't get suitable co-workers.
So my time is definitivly limited.

Now I want present you a new project which was started for arround 4
years by the request of two of my customers:

    localization and theming of the Xresources/app-defaults

Also I have read arround 40 times on several Mailinglists (not only
Debian) user requesting localization of the app-defaults...

Now after RTFM (Reading The Forgotten Manuals - xspecs), MANY tries
and fails it is done now!  --  UFF!

                tdapp-defaults
                ==============
                   v. 1.0.0

Currently I am rewriting the Makefiles to be distribution independant
since "tdapp-defaults" was developed under Debian and distibuted only
to my own customers.  Also I must change the localization stuff since
I use po files which make it easier for translators.

This Source package produce under Debian several binary packages

The four main packages are

1)  tdapp-defaults                  Super-Meta-Package which depends
                                    on tdapp-defaults-l10n
                                    and tdapp-defaults-themes

2)  tdapp-defaults-l10n             Meta-Package for the l10n stuff

3)  tdapp-defaults-themes           Meta-Package for the themes stuff

4)  tdapp-defaults-themes-common    Common packages for the locales
                                    which include the THEMES selector
                                    and the "blackwhite" theme.

And then, depending on the work on it language packs where currently
available:

5)  tdapp-defaults-l10n-de

The localization is done using PO files to avoid errors in the crappy
Resource files (This was the heaviest thing to get it running correctly)
and last not least the theme packages

6)  tdapp-defaults-theme-lightblue

Currently supported Resources are:

    Editres     XFontSel    XTerm       XbmBrowser
    Xcolorsel   Xedit       Xman        Xmessage

and I am working on:

    GXditview   XCalc       XClipboard  XF86Cfg
    XPaint      Xditview    Xvidtune

Since my Website was closed for 16 month (I have to much critic for
the french governement) by french authorities I have currently only a
60 MByte Homepage at <http://homepage-freenet.de/linux4michelle/>
You find Screenshoots by klicking the link to "tdapp-defaults".

Explanation to the screenshoot:

In the screenshoots you will see first the "Theme Chooser" and after this
"Editres" with four windows:

1)  left  => editres called with Xresource "Editres"
2)  right => editres called with Xresource "Editres-color"

the two standard Xresources in /etc/X11/app-defaults and then two
localized (german) versions below

3)  left  => editres called with Xresource "Editres"
4)  right => editres called with Xresource "Editres-color"

To get the localization I use two dummy files in /etc/X11/<CC>/app-defaults
and a localized Resource file with the extensil "-lang"

The after this you see all Windows/Dialogs of Editres in englisch and
german plus a newly added theme called "lightblue"

IMPORTANT NORTE:

Most programs in the Debian package "xbase-clients" do not more start
under Etch since it complain about missing locale...

----8<------------------------------------------------------------------
[michelle.konzack@devel.private:/usr/src/tdapp-defaults-0.1.0/] editres
Warning: Unable to load any usable ISO8859 font
Error: Aborting: no font found
----8<------------------------------------------------------------------

This affect ONLY the Xresources

    /etc/X11/app-defaults/<resource>
and
    /etc/X11/app-defaults/<resource>-color

and not the Xresources from "tdapp-defaults", which mean, in the current
state, the package "xbase-clients" is useless without correcting the
fonts or installing my "tdapp-defaults" package.

I have already contacted the maintainers via the BTS.

Please feel free to send me comments but only via the <lists> which I
read and I am subscribed.  I want the discusion open.

Since I am rebuilding the Makefiles for the package, and found some
flaws in the lightblue theme I think I can upload the version 1.0.0 to
<http://mentors.debian.net/> in the next 14 days.

  |  And a last note, for peoples WHO want to join the project and  |
  |  produce a theme:                                               |
  |  If you want to contribure a THEME, the must at least include   |
  |  the following Xresources:                                      |
  |          Editres         XClipboard      XFontSel               |
  |          XTerm           XbmBrowser      Xcolorsel              |
  |          Xedit           Xman            Xmessage               |
  |  and maybe:                                                     |
  |          GXditview       XCalc           XF86Cfg                |
  |          XPaint          Xditview        Xvidtune               |
  |  since for $USER it is not realy funny to have only half        |
  |  available themes.  If you want to contribute and YOUR THEME    |
  |  is under construction, you can send it to me in pieces so I    |
  |  can include it step by step.                                   |

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSM LinuxMichi
0033/6/61925193    67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)