Re: Debian en Ibook

Yo tengo una ibook G4, y hasta el momento no he podido copnfigurar el Xserver, pero supuestamente la version de 4.30 de  Xserver ( http://people.debian.org/~branden/ ) soporta esta tarjeta de video ati radeon 9200, y con el kernel 2.6 de benH. pero hasta el momento no he logrado configurar las X

por todo lo demas esta bien, solo para instalar use el nuevo instalador de debia, para que reconociera el HD, por que esta el hd no se encuentra en el primer ide, o algo asi, pero este lo jala bien.

Por ahi encontre un tutorial para configurar una Powerbook G4, y segun otro documento en aleman (el cual ya no encuentro) decia que este servia para la iBook G4 solo habia que aplicar un parche al kernel para que funcionara la tarjeta de video.

Si sabes como configurar las X, por favor dime, que ya tengo un mes con esta laptop y un no la veo funcionar en entorno grafico, te lo agradecere bastante.

Sobre el adaptador, creo que lo que llega a soportar es solo un mirror de la pantalla, por aun no lo se, no tengo X aun.

Sobre el plugin de flash, trabaja sobre el explorador de internet, yo he usado mozilla (en x86) y su plugin funciona, pero no creo que haya diferencia para linis-x86 y linux-ppc, o si?

Sobre la tarjeta wireless Extreme, no tengo idea.

Nos vemos y saludos desde mexico.

>>> Luis Miguel Cabezas Granado <luis@nccextremadura.org> 16/12/2003 11:39:53 am >>>
   Buenas Lista.

   En unos días voy a comprar un ibook G4 y quiero instalarle Debian. Me
surgen un par de dudas:

-  El ibook lleva un adaptador para conectar un videoproyector o un
monitor externo, mi duda es si esta funcionalidad está soportada en
Debian.

-  ¿Está soportada la tarjeta wireless Extreme?

-  ¿Existe plugin de flash para esta plataforma?

   Un saludo y gracias.

Title: Linux on an Apple PowerBook G4 12"
Apple PB G4 12 Install Linux on an Apple Powerbook 12" .

Last Update : Fri Sep 19 11:22:02 CEST 2003 by Matthias Schmidt <schmidt at giessen dot ccc dot de> - (GnuPG key)

Hardware

0. General

0.1 Experiences

0.1.1 Battery

The battery is not as powerfull as Apple writes (~ 5 hours). Under OS X the laptop goes into suspend mode after 2.5 hours. Under Linux and heavy load (I compiled the kernel four times, rebooted four times and also compiled a lot of source code) the laptop works for 3.5 hours. Under normal circumstances the battery was empty after 4 hours.

0.1.2 Heat

You won't get cold fingers if you hack in the winter :) The PB has an active fan, but the aluminium chassis acts as an passive cooler. During compiling Xfree 4.3.0 the PB chassis was _really_ hot.

Chassis temperatures

  • Normal work: circa 25 degree Celsius
  • make bzImage: circa 27-30 degree Celsius
  • 0.2 Important Keys

    Important keys

    • Reboot the PB: [apple] + [ctrl] + [power-switch]
    • "Command-key": [apple]
    • "Option-key": [alt]

    0.3 Terms

    • Mac OS Extended = HFS+

    1. Mac OS X

    1.1 Install Mac OS X

    My PB (and the PB 12" of others too) isn't able too boot of the OS X install DVD. You'll see the gray apple but nothing will happen. I tried it with OS X CDs from an old iBook, but they failed too. I found a solution for this problem in the Apple support forum:

    Solution

    • insert software restore DVD
    • reboot
    • press [c] after the boot sound
    • press directly [apple] + [v] and hold after the gray apple appears
    • release after the debug-mode (text on the screen) starts
    • wait for the installer

    During the installation I partitioned the harddrive into two partitions. One for OS X and the another one for Linux.

    2. Install Debian GNU Linux

    2.1 First steps

    Download the following files and copy them into the OS X root directory:

    Needed files

    1. images/root.bin
    2. yaboot
    3. yaboot.conf
    4. linux.bin

    The first three file are from http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/woody/main/disks-powerpc/current/new-powermac/, the fourth is the kernel from Orion Buckminster Montoya, which I renamed to linux.bin. You have to take his kernel, because the debian default kernel doesn't support ATA 100. The ATA chipset is the "intrepid chipset, which is UniNorth bridge and KeyLargo IS ASIC merged in one chip. It's CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE_PMAC in kernel config".

    If copying failes, activate the OS X root account with sudo passwd root.

    Reboot and press immediately [apple] + [alt] + [o] + [f] to enter the Open Firmware BIOS. Boot the Debian installer with

    Boot debian installion (This is the Open Firmware Prompt)

    > boot hd:X,yaboot

    Replace the X with the location of your OS X partition. I filled 9 in. If 9 isn't your OS X partition, look at the mount output in the OS X Terminal. I won't write anything about the Debian install process, have a look at the tutorials in the appendix.

    2.2 Boot your system

    Anyone who installed Debian testing or unstable can skip this section. The boot-floppies here have to correct yaboot version installed. You only need to run yabootconfig.

    You won't be able to boot your system with the Debian yaboot (1.3.6). You'll receive an error-message during the installation, but don't panic. Reboot, enter the Open Firmware and boot, as described above, yaboot again. Now at the yaboot prompt type in the following

    Boot the installed system (This is the yaboot prompt)

    boot: hd:X,/linux.bin root=/dev/hdYY ro

    and boot your installed system (the Y char) with the kernel on the OS X (the X char) partition. Now linux should start and you can finish the Debian installation. (Thanks to Jonathan Love who pointed me at a mistake in my description).

    After this, download the newest yaboot (1.3.10) from http://penguinppc.org/projects/yaboot/ and install it. Note: If the old yaboot version from debian is still installed, be sure to use the new version. ybin -V or apt-get remove yaboot will help you in any way :-P. If you step into problems email me and have a look into the yaboot HOWTO. Here is my yaboot.conf.

    3. Configuration

    3.1 Kernel

    Does cat /proc/cpuinfo reports 53MHz as CPU speed? Like this:

    cpu             : 7455, altivec supported
    clock           : 53MHz
    revision        : 3.3 (pvr 8001 0303)
    bogomips        : 51.90
    machine         : PowerBook6,1
    motherboard     : PowerBook6,1 MacRISC3 Power Macintosh
    detected as     : 271 (Unknown Pangea-based)
    pmac flags      : 00000008
    L2 cache        : 256K unified
    memory          : 384MB
    pmac-generation : NewWorld

    If yes, install the newest benh Kernel (see below). If you're looking for further information please search the debian-powerpc archives.

    You only have one choice: the kernel from Benjamin Herrenschmidt. You'll get it via rsync:

    benh kernel via rsync

    # mkdir /usr/src/benh_kernel
    # rsync -avz rsync.penguinppc.org::linux-2.4-benh /usr/src/benh_kernel

    Here is my .config

    3.1.1 Network

    The Ethernetdevice from Sun works perfectly:
    sungem.c:v0.97 3/20/02 David S. Miller (davem@redhat.com)
    eth0: Sun GEM (PCI) 10/100/1000BaseT Ethernet 00:03:93:cc:b2:a2
    eth0: Found BCM5221 PHY

    Activate CONFIG_SUNGEM=y in your kenerl config.

    3.1.2 Sound

    Works fine. Active the following options during kernel configuration:

    Sound settings

    CONFIG_SOUND=m
    CONFIG_DMASOUND_PMAC=m
    CONFIG_DMASOUND=m

    and create a file named sound in /etc/modutils/ with the following content:

    /etc/modutils/sound

    alias char-major-14	soundcore
    alias sound-slot-0	dmasound_pmac
    alias char-major-14-3	dmasound_pmac
    alias /dev/dsp		dmasound_pmac
    alias sound-service-0-0	i2c-keywest
    alias char-major-14-0	i2c-keywest
    alias /dev/mixer	i2c-keywest

    3.1.3 Bluetooth

    I've tested the bluetooth support with the T68i mobile phone from Sony Ericsson and it worked well.
    3.1.3.1 Kernel options
    You'll need the following activated kernel options to talk with the mobile:

    Bluetooth kernel options

    CONFIG_BLUEZ=m
    CONFIG_BLUEZ_L2CAP=m
    CONFIG_BLUEZ_RFCOMM=m
    CONFIG_BLUEZ_RFCOMM_TTY=y
    CONFIG_BLUEZ_HCIUSB=m
    CONFIG_BLUEZ_HCIUART=m
    CONFIG_BLUEZ_HCIUART_H4=y
    CONFIG_BLUEZ_HCIVHCI=m

    You have to load the modules below to get a working connection:

    hci_usb                 7680   1
    rfcomm                 34696   1
    l2cap                  18612   2
    bluez                  36008   3 [hci_usb rfcomm l2cap]

    3.1.3.2 Installation
    I don't use the blue userland programs from Debian, instead I compiled them for myself. Download the tarballs below from bluez.sf.net.

    Required software

  • bluez-libs-2.4.tar.gz
  • bluez-sdp-1.1.tar.gz
  • bluez-utils-2.3.tar.gz
  • After installing I searched my mobile via hcitool:

    littlejohn!ms:~ $ hcitool scan
    Scanning ...
            00:0A:D9:37:49:9F       Superphone

    If hcitool successfully detects your phone, use rfcomm and a PPP tool (pppd, wvdial) to connect to the internet via bluetooth :)

    3.1.4 Internal modem

    I was able to install and use successfully the modem driver. I downloaded the driver from Linux drivers for Conexant modems and installed them. During configuration the hcfusbconfig-script wanted insistently a awk version > 3.1.0. I loaded gawk version 3.1.2 from gnu.org and installed it.

    Now I was able to finish the modem configuration. I had to modify the init-string of the modem to make it work:

    New modem init-string

    ATX3

    Have a look at my wvdial.conf

    3.1.5 USB 1.1

    My Logitech USB mouse work and my USB Memory Stick (with usb-storage) also works.

    3.1.6 Firewire 400

    Firewire Cameras semmed not to work. A Firewire HDD worked without problems.

    3.1.7 Power management

    Nope. APM says: Sleep mode not supported on this machine and Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote on debian-powerpc:

    >     sleep support
    No, may take a while before it's supported

    Anyway you can do cat /proc/apm to get the correct information about your battery status.

    3.1.8 CPU

    The CPU is fully supported. To get full speed (867 MHz) have a look at the following:

    Change CPU freqency

    littlejohn!ms:~ $ cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep clock
    clock           : 533MHz
    littlejohn!ms:~ $ echo -n "0%100%100%performance" > /proc/cpufreq
    littlejohn!ms:~ $ cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep clock
    clock           : 867MHz

    And don't forget to activate cpufreq support during kernel configuration.

    3.2 DVD/CD-RW drive

    SVCD and DVD playback works. With mplayer I wasn't able to play all DVDs (eg LOTR failed). Somebody reported that DVDV playback with xine is fine. The CD burner works without problems. Activate SCSI-Emulation during kernel configuration and add an entry to your yaboot.conf The output of cdrecord -scanbus:

    Cdrecord 1.10 (powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2001 Jörg Schilling
    Using libscg version 'schily-0.5'
    scsibus0:
    	0,0,0	  0) 'MATSHITA' 'CD-RW  CW-8122  ' 'BA1D' Removable CD-ROM
    	0,1,0	  1) *
    	0,2,0	  2) *
    	0,3,0	  3) *
    	0,4,0	  4) *
    	0,5,0	  5) *
    	0,6,0	  6) *
    	0,7,0	  7) *

    3.3 Keyboard

    I choose mac-usb-de-latin1 (german) as keyboard layout. Furthermore I installed pbbuttonsd. You'll now be able to use the PB special keys (eject, mute, volume, ...) with this daemon. I wrote a little init script to activate pbbuttonsd at startup. If you want to eject CDs from the build-in CD-ROM drive you have to install eject additionaly.

    3.4 Trackpad

    With the following /etc/gpm.conf the trackpad works fine under console.

    /etc/gpm.conf

    device=/dev/input/mice
    responsiveness=
    repeat_type=
    type=ps2
    append=""
    sample_rate=

    I mapped the second and third mouse button to F11 and F12. If you enter showkey and press any key, you'll see the keycode My /etc/sysctl.conf:

    /etc/sysctl.conf

    dev/mac_hid/mouse_button_emulation = 1
    dev/mac_hid/mouse_button2_keycode = 87
    dev/mac_hid/mouse_button3_keycode = 88

    3.5 TV adapter

    I wasn't yet successfull getting the TV adapter working.

    3.6 Analog VGA Monitor

    Same for the VGA adapter. It worked fine under OS X (surprise).

    3.7 Airport Extreme

    It seems that the chipset on the Airport Extreme Card is a Broadcom chip. Broadcom don't tend to release the Linux driver or any information how to write them. There is an ongoing petition, just sign it :)

    Mmh, no :) I was able to successfully load the hermes module, but that's all. kern.log shows the following:

    Mar 26 21:45:50 kernel: hermes.c: 5 Apr 2002 David Gibson
    Mar 26 21:47:52 kernel: orinoco.c 0.11b (David Gibson  and others)
    Mar 26 21:47:52 kernel: airport.c 0.11b (Benjamin Herrenschmidt )
    Mar 26 21:47:52 kernel: orinoco.c 0.11b (David Gibson  and others)
    Mar 26 21:47:52 kernel: airport.c 0.11b (Benjamin Herrenschmidt )

    The aiport modul failed with the following message:

    /lib/modules/2.4.20-ben9/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/airport.o: init_module: No such device
    Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters

    I created an alias (eth1) for the card and ifconfig eth1 reported the following (surprise ;):

    eth1: error fetching interface information: Device not found

    4.0 Xfree 4.3.0 with a Nvidia GeForce4 420 Go

    Julian Scheel has started an online petition for nvidia linux driver for ppc. You can sign it here.

    4.1 Installation

    It works! To get X working, try the following steps. If you use unstable/sid you can skip the first three steps.

    Note: A lot of readers reported problems with the CVS-Version of xfree86. If you run into trouble compiling unstable, try the stable version of xfree 4.3.x. It'll work :)

    Step-by-Step instruction for X11

    • get Xfree 4.3.0 from ftp://ftp.xfree86.org
    • read the Install-HOWTO and compile the sources
    • look if the nv driver compiles successfully
    • install the binaries
    • configure X or use my XF86Config
    • login from another box via ssh
    • startx and look at /var/log/XFree86.0.log
    • if X starts, ok. If not, look at the error messages
    • If you get an error like Could not load default font fixed, install xfonts-base via apt.

    If you use sid, you don't need to compile X from source. You can use the deb packages from Daniel Stone. To get the packages type apt-get install x-window-system. Update: With a recent (ben10) benh kernel you'll be able to quit and restart your Xsession without problems. Disadvantage: Your console will be limited to 80x30 characters after boot. Orion Buckminster was the first person who reported this issue on debian-powerpc. I'll work on a fix and report it as fast as possible.

    My XF86Config and the output of XFree86.0.log.Note: My color depth is 16Bit per default, but you can use 24Bit (according to Sander) without problems.

    4.2 Configuration

    4.2.1 Keyboard

    Note: Christophe Cattlegrid wrote very usefull information about X and keyboard mapping in his HOWTO, so I'll skip this. Have a look at his HOWTO (see Appendix) instead. I modified my .Xmodmap to get a usable german keyboard layout. I mapped for example [AltGr] on the [apple] key.

    Appendix

    A. Credits

    Thanks to Jonathan Love who pointed me at a mistake and gave me helpfull tips relating testing/unstable.

    Sander van Geloven successfully tested X11 with 24Bit color depth.

    Johannes Becker reported a broken link and gave me a tip relating the boot prompts.

    B. Information

    Systen information

    C. Links

    Interessting threads/postings on debian-powerpc:

    debian-powerpc

    Interessting websites:

    Websites

    D. Disclaimer

    This document is licensed under the GNU GPL. I'm not responsible for the content of the hyperlinks here. If you follow a link, it's your own fault not mine.

    Note: I'm not responsible for any damage (software or hardware) this document could cause. Use this document on your own risk!

    © 2003 by Matthias Schmidt