Re: Configuring a US keyboard with umlauts in sid (hal etc?)

Howard Eisenberger <howarde@gmx.net> wrote:

> On 2009-11-25, Kelly Clowers wrote:

>>> I do use compose and previously had this line in the "Input Device"
>>> Section in my old xorg.conf
>>>
>>>      Option  "XkbOptions"  "compose:menu"
>>>
>>> setxkbmap -model evdev -option compose:menu
>>>
>> In newer versions, you can put stuff like that in /etc/default/console-setup
>> or most recently in /etc/default/keyboard  This works on TTYs and X.
>
> I thought the OP said he tried this, but it didn't work. It just
> worked for me using XKBOPTIONS in /etc/default/console-setup after
> I rebooted.

I tried /etc/default/keyboard.  I'm not sure whether the reason for the
failure was that I tried the wrong options, or whether I only restarted
X and did not reboot (I don't know whether I rebooted).

Anyway, it works now. I haven have a § sign on AltGr+p, not ¶. I still
can get ¶ with AltGr+Shift+p.

While we're at it, can anyone explain why these two combinations are
different:

Press AltGr, keep pressed; press Shift, keep pressed; press and release
`p': gives §

Press Shift, keep pressed; press AltGr, keep pressed; press and release
`p': gives nothing

Regards, Frank
--
Dr. Frank Küster