Re: FSF to fork OOo over java

On (09/05/05 20:23), Rene Engelhard wrote:
> Clive Menzies wrote:
> > I am a Debian user of OOo 1.1.3 and haven't needed to enable Java
> > (although it may be a case of what you don't know you don't miss).  From
> > a purely personal perspective it would be attractive to have a totally
> > free OOo.  However, that would ignore the bigger issue of the future of
> > OOo and its ability to compete effectively with MSOffice.
>
> The problem is that 1.9.x will have more, important functionality in
> Java. Database for example... Or the Media stuff. Some new filter stuff
> important for interopability (M$ Office XML for example), the Media Framework,
> some scripting stuff etc.

Hi Rene

Thanks for this, as stated, I speak from relative ignorance ;)  I also
read recently about the wrangling over the standard document format
which, I guess, is also of no small importance.

> > The forking of OOo will be to the detriment of the free software
> > community and would set back the cause of Linux on the desktop, possibly
> > indefinitely.  The potential for confusion and misunderstanding amongst
> > users is great and no doubt Microsoft will lose no time in exploiting
> > the situation.
>
> I do not see that bad, but yes, I am against a fork too and would like
> to help GNU in making OOo completely running with gij instead of forking.
> Building with gcj is more or less achieved now.
> (I wrote a mail to rms with that)

This should alleviate some of the main concerns.  My major concern is
not for me as a user but in relation to convincing users (including
those amongst my client base) of the superiority of OOo and Debian to MS
products.  Some of them like to feel that they have all the 'bells and
whistles', in spite of the fact that they'll never use or understand
them.  Forking might give the erroneous impression that the free version
was somehow inferior.

> > This issue has ramifications that extend beyond the seemingly (to your
> > average PC user) esoteric debate about Java.  Sun could play an heroic
> > role in the dissemination of free software and Linux; the question is do
> > they see it? And furthermore will they embrace the opportunity?
>
> No, Sun doesn't IMHO. You do not seem to know how Sun behaves in some
> aspects..
> They brought us OOo, yes, but that's not everything to consider...

Yes I fully accept that I don't know how they behave. I would observe,
however, that they don't seem to be consistently 'bad' or consistently
'good' which could, under the right circumstances, translate into
positive action in respect of free software.

I will endeavour to improve my knowledge and understanding of such
issues.  Thanks to you and the Debian OOo team for a great product ;)

Regards

Clive

--
www.clivemenzies.co.uk ...