Re: FSF to fork OOo over java

Hi,

Clive Menzies wrote:
> I am a Debian user of OOo 1.1.3 and haven't needed to enable Java
> (although it may be a case of what you don't know you don't miss).  From
> a purely personal perspective it would be attractive to have a totally
> free OOo.  However, that would ignore the bigger issue of the future of
> OOo and its ability to compete effectively with MSOffice.

The problem is that 1.9.x will have more, important functionality in
Java. Database for example... Or the Media stuff. Some new filter stuff
important for interopability (M$ Office XML for example), the Media Framework,
some scripting stuff etc.

> The forking of OOo will be to the detriment of the free software
> community and would set back the cause of Linux on the desktop, possibly
> indefinitely.  The potential for confusion and misunderstanding amongst
> users is great and no doubt Microsoft will lose no time in exploiting
> the situation.

I do not see that bad, but yes, I am against a fork too and would like
to help GNU in making OOo completely running with gij instead of forking.
Building with gcj is more or less achieved now.
(I wrote a mail to rms with that)

> This issue has ramifications that extend beyond the seemingly (to your
> average PC user) esoteric debate about Java.  Sun could play an heroic
> role in the dissemination of free software and Linux; the question is do
> they see it? And furthermore will they embrace the opportunity?

No, Sun doesn't IMHO. You do not seem to know how Sun behaves in some
aspects..
They brought us OOo, yes, but that's not everything to consider...

Grüße/Regards,

Rene
--
 .''`.  Rene Engelhard -- Debian GNU/Linux Developer
 `. `'  rene@debian.org | GnuPG-Key ID: 248AEB73