Re: [Debian] Samba: Can't Rename the Log File

 >> - Could there be a bug that smbd keeps the file open and thus cannot
 >> "re"open it? And how to ship around then?

 f> No, I don't think there's a bug. At least with log files created with
 f> "log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log" there's no problem with
 f> renaming. /var/log/smb is still used, but it doesn't get big. My setup
 f> is essentially the same as yours, only I don't run swat (and I've
 f> upgraded to samba 2.0.9 due to the known bugs recently).

 f> Have you tried to once rename the file by hand and look wether the
 f> problem is reproducible when it comes to renaming the file again? You
 f> should perhaps create a big file so that you needn't wait for weeks...

I was allready considering it -- even when I can't solve the
problem...

Hubert Palme         Bergische Universitaet-Gesamthochschule Wuppertal
                                      Computing  Center
                                      D-42097 Wuppertal
E-Mail: palme@uni-wuppertal.de             (Germany)
http://www.hrz.uni-wuppertal.de/hrz/personen/h_palme.html