Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 17:01:34 +0200
From: Jens Benecke <jens@pinguin.conetix.de>
To: systalk@pinguin.conetix.de
Subject: Samba not visible in Win98/NT nethood

Hi,

I babysit four Samba servers at different locations (one at my former
school, two in university, one in a company), some of them also doing SQL
databases, web serving, file serving (FTP), DNS, NFS for Linux clients,
etc.  All have close to identical samba configuration, are master browser,
domain master, wins server, os-level=200 etc. One of them is even doing
domain logons for a few NT clients which works perfectly.

Three of them work without a single problem. The fourth also works
flawlessly since first boot - except for the simple fact that nobody can
see the server in their nethood. It's there if you search for it, and you
can alias it on your desktop and then use it - but it doesn't appear on
its own.

This is strange because it is acting as wins server and browse master for
all clients, and all other clients are visible.

I tried the following:
	- tweaking every conceivable smb.conf feature
	  (interfaces, bind interfaces, announce as, remote announce, ...)
	- creating a smbpasswd with empty and non-empty "guest" and
	  "nobody" pseudo-user passwords
	- checking permissions of /var/samba where BROWSE.DAT and so on is
	  located (rwxr-xr-x)
	- running samba via inetd versus as daemons
	- and combinations of those.

All windows clients have a static IP address, use the Samba server as a
WINS server. Some of the others use the Samba server for DNS or proxy
services as well.

Somehow, I'm out of ideas. Anyone want to point me in the right direction?
Thanks a lot! =;)

--
Jens

----- End forwarded message -----

--
"The PROPER way to handle HTML postings is to cancel the article, then hire
a killer to kill the poster, his wife and kids, and fuck his dog and smash