Re: W95 defrag [also lilo+Linux+Win98 FAT32]

On Thu, Apr 22, 1999 at 05:42:09PM -0500, Brad wrote:

> For quite a while, Windows refused to boot at all from lilo. i finally
> solved the problem by using some obscure commands buried deep in TFM.
> Probably you won't need them, but they're here for a reference anyway.
>
>   other=/dev/hdb1
>     table=/dev/hdb
>   # The map-drive directives make windows think it's on the primary
>   # master drive instead of the primary slave. Windows would think
>   # Linux was on the slave if it could see it.
>     map-drive = 0x80
>       to = 0x81
>     map-drive = 0x81
>       to = 0x80
>     label=win
>     alias=2

Which FM did you find this is?  I've been unable to boot windows from lilo
since I moved it (windows) to /dev/hdc.  I'd guess I need to use 0x82 where
you've used 0x81, but I'd rather make sure before I risk it, and I can't
see map-drive mentioned in the lilo.conf man page.

For a while I was able to boot windows using other=/dev/hdc but this
suddenly stopped working, saying "Missing Operating System"  Does anyone
know what could cause that?

TIA,
Matt

--
Matt Folwell, Trinity College, Cambridge.  CB2 1TQ
mjf36@cam.ac.uk