Re: Diald Installation and Setup

Russell Rademacher wrote:
>         It seems it is little frustrating here on getting good answers on
> trying to get the diald working.  So... how about someone giving me a step by
> step on their setup to get the diald working and the copies of the files
> related to it so I can just edit the phone number and the device setting so I
> can see if it works here.
>
>         Basically...what I am looking for is this.  I have Slip, PPP and diald
> installed along with ethernet card in it.  I am planning to have MASQ working
> after the diald part is set.
>
>         The pon setting is working fine and it works great.  It does connect
> and disconnect using ttyS1 for the modem.  What I need to know is how to make
> it work using the dynamic IP allocation by using the box itself and by the
> network by diald.  So.... I appreciate if someone give me complete set of files
> that you have that make yours work including the files in the /etc and
> /etc/diald section that is related to diald.  That includes the IP addressing,
> network settings and the setup relating to it like hosts, hosts.conf,
> resolv.conf and ifconfig settings.  One of those areas are what making it not
> work properly as it should.
>
>         Some people have said about remote and local IP address setting and
> such, but it is not exactly clear.  So.  I appreciate it if someone actually
> make a tarball of all files that is related to it so I can study it and make a
> few changes to it like the phone number and the device setting and then let me
> try it from there.  Then it should show me what is going wrong with what I did
> in the first place.  I really need to get this working and finished today.
>
>         Thanks and hope to hear some replies on this so maybe... a new update
> on the diald documentations/FAQ might be in order to make this problems from
> coming up again with successfull manual PPP connection.

Hmm, ok, I've just written a German manual.  Let's rephrase it
in english then.

Requirements: diald, ppp, pppconfig, slip driver within the kernel

Run pppconfig to set up your ppp configuration for use with pon/poff.
If that runs, go ahead and take a look at diald.

For some reason there is one file missing in /etc/diald/ which is
diald.conf.  But: There is a proper example in /usr/doc/diald/examples.
Just uncompiress it:

zcat /usr/doc/diald/examples/diald.options.gz > /etc/diald/diald.options

and edit it.  For DynIP with PPP change the local and remote addresses
to something else, e.g. like:

  local 192.168.0.1
  remote 192.168.0.2

You'll have to add the username for ppp as extracted from /etc/ppp/peers/provider

  pppd-options noauth user <benutzername>

And you'll have to exchange the connect/disconnect command
like:

  connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/chatscripts/provider"
  disconnect "/usr/bin/poff provider"

Now restart diald with

  sh /etc/init.d/diald restart

I hope it works. :)

Regards,

	Joey

PS: I wonder if there are problems with diald 0.16.5 and Linux
    kernel 2.2.x

--
Never trust an operating system you don't have source for!