Emacs21: nameserver resolution fails

Hi,

I've upgraded my system to 3.0 and installed Emacs 21 in addition to
Emacs 20. Both share the same .emacs. I run vm as a mail client. The
.vm config file is again shared by both Emacs versions.

I have a dialup connection that works just fine, i.e. web browsers,
ftp clients, and ping are all able to access remote hosts with their
IP address or hostnames.

If I run vm as a mail client in Emacs 20, I have no problem accessing
my pop3 and smtp servers. If I try the same in Emacs 21, I get a
message:

Temporary nameserver resolution problem

If I use the IP addresses of the pop3 and smtp servers instead of
their hostnames, vm works in both Emacs 20 and Emacs 21.

If I first get new mail and send mail with Emacs20 and then try with
Emacs 21, then even Emacs 21 can work with the hostnames instead of
the IP addresses.

Is there any change between 20 and 21 that explains this problem? Is
there anything I can do about it? Is it worth filing a bug report?

regards,
Markus

--
Markus Hoenicka