Re: Libranet [was: Manual install/configuration]

* Wendell Cochran (atrypa@eskimo.com) wrote:
> Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 01:21:32 -0700
> From: "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com>
>
> [SNIP]
> > Debian tends toward a text / curses based installer, and config-file
> > based management, rather than GUI tools.  There _are_ GUI alternatives
> > to both if you lean that way, but they're neither required nor (at this
> > time) standard.  Debian's a lot closer to the metal than your typical
> > RPM-based GNU/Linux distro.   There are those who say the One True
> > Distro is Slack.  Gentoo's also got a rising fanbase, and also tends to
> > give the user a lot of lattitude.  Advantage of Debian is that the
> > distro will hold your hand and provide an autopilot where you find this
> > useful, but gets out of your way where you prefer more control.
>
> Is anyone here willing to compare Libranet in the same way?  Which is to
> say:  Not personal preferences & priorities but instead comparative
> anatomy.

Libranet _is_ Debian -- a commercial repackaging.  In my experience
(admittedly several versions ago -- I used 1.8.2, which came on a
single CD; and it is now at version 2.7, with 2 CDs, and the price has
also doubled), it does more hand-holding than stock Debian, though (for me at
least) without being unduly constrictive.  The version I used made
heavy use of linuxconf, which I found very annoying.  I understand
that it has been replaced with something better.  I have no need for
Libranet at this point, since I (like to think I) am much more
knowledgeable, and use  a jigdo-generated  installation disk instead.
However, lacking it, I'd go to Libranet without hesitation, since I
know it will give me appropriate choices without insulting my intelligence.

Libranet is gui-based -- to what degree at this point I cannot say.
The version I own made heavy use of ascii graphics from the start,
switching to X once the X server was configured.  That was prior to
4.0, and the configuration process was longer and more complicated.
There is an administration menu that remains on the system after
installation, to allow further tweaking.  Unlike stock Debian, they do
a lot of mix-and-match: the current version offers KDE 3.0.3, and
there is a wide choice of desktops.

I tried Slackware before Debian, and gave up.  It did not help that I
had a 14.4 modem.  Trying to make sense of it required too much time
and effort.  I tried stock Debian (slink, early on), and got it sort
of running, but the instructions that accompanied it were woefully
inadequate.  Libranet was head and shoulders above both in terms of
prdviding information and guidance.

I realise that this may not be quite the review that you were seeking,
but I hope it helps somewhat.  A good choice for someone who has some
basic knowledge, and wants more sophistication, but does not want the
hassle of roll-your-own.

Cam

--
Cam Ellison Ph.D. R.Psych.