Re: Install problems with X. Was, Re: I don't get apt-get

Steven Dickenson wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 06, 2001 at 03:06:04PM -0700, Eric Richardson wrote:
> > Now I have a problem since X won't work and I can't kill it via
> > ctrl-alt-backspace. (perhaps since this is a laptop and the keyboard
> > mapping is wrong - see [xf86config keyboard question] thread) I tried
> > booting off the cd and mounting the / partition. I was looking for a way
> > to avoid starting X but I don't know the correct way.
>
> I'm assuming that you're using XDM, or one of its alternatives, to
> automatically start X at startup.  An easy way to bypass this is to boot
> the system into single-user mode.  You can do this from the LILO prompt.
> When your system boots up, hold down the "Shift" key to get the LILO
> boot: prompt.  Then type in the name of your Linux boot image (default
> is "Linux") followed by " single".  This will boot your system into
> single user mode, allowing you to make changes to your system, including
> reconfiguring your run-levels to bypass XDM, or reconfiguring X to get
> it to work.

I was trying to figure this out -- I thought it was tab. I used the boot
CDROM and mounted the file system and canned the S99xdm symbolic link in
rc2.d. Weird thing is that /etc/fstab didn't have entries for /dev/hda3
and 4 which where holding /var and /tmp respectively.

> I suggest you start another thread on that subject,
> preferably in debian-laptop, as it's more appropriate over there.

I'll give that a whirl.

> Don't forget, most Linux newbies end up re-installed their system
> several times during the first month or so until they get everything
> just right.

The second time went much better. I also the apt-get did update
everything on install. I did an apt-get update and then apt-get
dist-upgrade afterwords and nothing got altered. Pretty darn cool.

Great to be a debian user and thanks for the help.
Eric :-)