Re: stupid questions about apt-get/dpkg

re,

Ethan Benson(erbenson@alaska.net)@Thu, Mar 01, 2001 at 12:05:20AM -0900:
> On Thu, Mar 01, 2001 at 02:56:04PM +0600, Bram Dumolin wrote:
> > >
> > > exim gets removed, postfix gets installed.
> >
> > oic, I just tried with qmail, but that was the .deb I created from source, so I imagine the dependency info is not in there...
> > I never tried with something else.
>
> this is because you didn't use apt, dpkg does not deal with
> depenencies other then bitching about them.  im not sure if you can
> purge exim and install the qmail .debs simultaneously or not.  another
> method would be to make a mini apt archive and point apt at it via
> deb file:/whereever  it might be simpler to just purge exim and
> whatever it depends on (unless thats everything) then reinstall them
> after you install qmail.

hmm but it sounds like too much trouble for installing a small package :)
There should be an option in dpkg/apt, -R, --ReplaceDependency <package> :)

> > DJB should change his policy, especially with all the bind shit happening right now, djbdns could become one of the major DNS systems.
> > Well, too bad, I prefer security over functionality.
>
> DJB does not seem to understand that unless he licences his software
> under a Free Software licence it will never achieve large following.

I guess not.
It's realy a pity, as it would be so nice to know that everybody is running djbdns and qmail :)
At least we would get rid of the burdons of running antique soft.
(Note: I don't have anything against exim or postfix)

Well, it's his choice, who are we to argue :)

Ok status update:
I got it replaced with qmail (had to install procmail and ucspi-tcp(from src)).
I love apt-get BTW :))

It should be working soon, still have some lib probs :
avluv:/usr/src# /etc/init.d/qmail start
Starting mail-transfer agent: qmailid: qmaild: No such user
id: nobody: No such user
sh: error in loading shared libraries: libc.so.6.1: failed to map segment from shared object: Cannot allocate memory
.
avluv:/usr/src# grep -e nobody -e qmaild /etc/passwd
nobody:x:65534:65534:nobody:/export/home:/bin/sh
qmaild:x:64011:65534:qmail daemon,,,:/var/qmail:/bin/false

--
	 People using html in email should be shot.

My brother-in-law has found a way to make ends meet.  He goes around
with his head stuck up his ass.

By US Code Title 47, Sec.227(a)(2)(B), a computer/modem/printer meets the definition of a telephone fax machine. By Sec.227(b)(1)(C), it is unlawful to send any unsolicited advertisement to such equipment. By Sec.227(b)(3)(C), a violation of the aforementioned Section is punishable by action to recover actual monetary loss, or $500, whichever is greater, for each violation.