Re: stupid questions about apt-get/dpkg

hi

> so I want to upgrade mail-transport-agent from exim to qmail

replacing equivalent packages is easy when they are complied and distributed
as such
but qmail is a problem

I know of two approaches:
leave apt thinking exim is installed and just delete exim by hand, then
compile + install qmail

or build a dummy package with equivs that provides mta, so that apt will
uninstall exim say qmail is installed - then you just compile and install
qmail

however I havent managed to get apt to accept my dummy package instead of
exim

Neil