Re: stupid questions about apt-get/dpkg

On Thu, Mar 01, 2001 at 02:56:04PM +0600, Bram Dumolin wrote:

> > exim gets removed, postfix gets installed.
>
> oic, I just tried with qmail, but that was the .deb I created from source, so I imagine the dependency info is not in there...
> I never tried with something else.

this is because you didn't use apt, dpkg does not deal with
depenencies other then bitching about them.  im not sure if you can
purge exim and install the qmail .debs simultaneously or not.  another
method would be to make a mini apt archive and point apt at it via
deb file:/whereever  it might be simpler to just purge exim and
whatever it depends on (unless thats everything) then reinstall them
after you install qmail.

> DJB should change his policy, especially with all the bind shit happening right now, djbdns could become one of the major DNS systems.
> Well, too bad, I prefer security over functionality.

DJB does not seem to understand that unless he licences his software
under a Free Software licence it will never achieve large following.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/