Re: stupid questions about apt-get/dpkg

On Thu, Mar 01, 2001 at 02:35:43PM +0600, Bram Dumolin wrote:
> re all,
>
> How do you simply replace a package with another package that offers the same functionality?
> exim provides mail-transport-agent
> qmail as well
>
> so I want to upgrade mail-transport-agent from exim to qmail
>
> What's the best way to do that? Pointers on a good apt-get/dpkg faq?

You could install the qmail-src package, create the deb, and install
it.

Better yet, follow Adam McKenna's HOWTO at
http://www.flounder.net/qmail/qmail-howto.html.  Leave exim installed.
Remove any start links for exim (find /etc/rc?.d -name S\*exim | xargs
rm) and make sure exim isn't running out of /etc/inetd.conf.  Comment
out the crap /etc/cron.d/exim too.

A zillion people will now bitch at you and claim that qmail is
"non-free".  While that's the debian party line I'm beginning to
suspect debian holds this view because of the abrasive personal nature
of Mr. Bernstein rather than a careful analysis of what's posted at
his site.  (Note to zealots: I'm not interested in your flames.  Yell
at your dog).

Micromuse Inc.                 | than a perfect plan tomorrow.