Re: Cannot get Philips CDRW PCRW80 4K17 - 800 Series to write

read the FAQ's linked to on xcdroast.org.

you have to have scsi emulation build in ther kernel or as a module, and
you have to tell the ide-cd drivers to ignore your cdrom. Rather than
doing this, i just didnt compile and IDE drivers at all, just scsi
emulation and scsi support (the cd-r is the only ide device in the
machine).  The goal is to get your cd-r to showup when you run
"cdrecord -scanbus".  Also make sure to build scsi generic support.