Re: Cannot get Philips CDRW PCRW80 4K17 - 800 Series to write

To quote hanasaki <hanasaki@microlink.net>,
# I Cannot seem to get debian to recognize the CDRW as anything other
than
# a CD-ROM.  Any input would be appreciated

You need 'cdrecord' and friends. I would suggest using XCDRoast as a
front-end. Maybe 'gcombust'. Very nice GUIs. The problem is, you can't
treat a CDRW as any drive under Linux; you need to use a cd-burning
program(like the ones mentioned above). If your CDRW is IDE, you'll also
need to make sure it's emulated as a SCSI device, since all the CD
burning tools use SCSI system calls. Read the CD-Recording(or Writing?)
HOWTO on http://www.linuxdocs.org .

David Barclay Harris, Clan Barclay
    Aut agere, aut mori. (Either action, or death.)