Re: Debian maintenance of my GNU packages

On 02/16/2012 02:20 AM, Paul Wise wrote:
On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 7:36 AM, Christian Grothoff wrote:

Daniel said that uploading MHD to 'unstable' would have required
"recompiling" gnunet.  I'm not sure how that qualifies as a complicated
transition, but I'm not a DD.

There are several other source packages being built using libextractor
and libmicrohttpd. Due to the ABI change (SONAME bump and package
rename) in both of them, uploading to unstable would require all of
the reverse dependencies of both of them to be rebuilt to link against
the new SONAME and depend on the new package name and possibly some of
them to be patched by the maintainers in the case of API changes. This
is known as a 'transition' and requires co-ordination with the Debian
release team due to the possiblity of transitions getting entangled:

http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/ReleaseTeam/Transitions

I see. I wasn't aware of several of these reverse dependencies, so that explains the long stay in "experimental". I'm putting some comments below to try to qualify how easy/hard I expect the transition might be.

These source packages need to be rebuilt for the
libextractor/libmicrohttpd transitions:

basenji: libextractor-dev

I was not aware of this one. Checked upstream code, they say explicitly that LE 0.6's new API is *not supported*. Now, the 0.6 version has significant advantages (such as running out-of-process and thus not ever possibly crashing the host application), so I don't know why they wouldn't update. But clearly a non-trivial issue here that I was not aware of :-(.

doodle: libextractor-dev

New version supporting new API exists.

fossology: libextractor-dev

AFAIK, their latest version dropped the dependency entirely.

gmpc-plugins: libmicrohttpd-dev

libmicrohttpd API change is harmless to 99.9% of all users, likely only recompile needed.

gnunet-gtk: libextractor-dev

new version using new API exists.

gnunet-qt: libextractor-dev

gnunet-qt is dead for now.

libextractor-java: libextractor-dev

New version supporting new API exists.

psensor: libmicrohttpd-dev

libmicrohttpd API change is harmless to 99.9% of all users, likely only recompile needed.

vdr-plugin-xineliboutput: libextractor-dev

I was not aware of this one, no idea if it supports the new API.

yubikey-server-c: libmicrohttpd-dev

libmicrohttpd API change is harmless to 99.9% of all users, likely only recompile needed.

I hope this helps...

Happy hacking!

Christian