Re: A couple of things I noticed

Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org> writes:

> On Wed, Sep 15, 1999 at 11:19:04AM -0700, Walter Keeler wrote:

> Although we are talking about CDROM's, the fact is the format of bootable
> CD's must be the same as a floppy. I'm not exactly sure of the technical
> reasons for this, but it is my understanding.

I don't quite understand what you're saying here.  Sparc bootable CD's
are quite different from Intel.  Essentially, they load "silo" off of
the first block of the CD, which loads the kernel and an initrd from
the CD.  There are obvious size limitations on the initrd (because of
memory limits), but nothing prevents mounting the CD to get more
utilities...

Steve
dunham@cse.msu.edu