A couple of things I noticed

I recently installed slink on an Ultra 5 here at work. I had to return it
to the pool (it's now a web server running Red Hat), but I noticed the
following interesting anomalies while I was playing with it:

1) QFE ethernets detected before HME. The Ultra 5 had a QuadFast Ethernet
card installed; having set up 50 or so in the last six months, I naturally
assumed that the HME would be the primary network interface. Instead, I
found out through trial and error that qfe0, the first interface on the
quad card, came up as eth0, and the happy meal as eth4.

2) I was unable to compile a 2.2.x kernel. The compilation looked for an
ultralinux gcc version, which wasn't installed off the slink CD. I found a
version on the net, but it required glibc 2.1, while slink installed with
2.0, so I never did get the 2.2.x kernel built. (I am working with a CD I
bought from Linux Central.)

I thought I remembered reading on this list that slink for Sparc installed
glibc 2.1, but both my Ultra 5 at work and my Sparc 5 at home came up with
2.0.

BTW, unrelated to Sparc: Are there any plans to offer an enhanced
installation environment (a real shell instead of ash, nice suite of tools
to use in case of problems booting, etc.) on future versions of bootable
CD-ROMs? The current cramped install environment makes sense when floppies
are the preferred installation method, but these days, wouldn't it make
sense to offer both the stripped-down version and a beefier one?

--Walter Keeler

Walter Keeler                          *  If my words did glow...    *