Kernel build errors was Re: More install problems under Ultra10 and tftp...

On 2 Jul 1999, Adam Di Carlo wrote:

> Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> writes:
>
> > So now the question is: Can I install from unstable, and expect things to
> > work? Should I install packages from slink as well, or can I get by with
> > potato? (I have a potato mirror of the sparc packages, but not a slink
> > one.)
>
> I run potato on my Sun4u.  It was originally stock slink as well.

With the trouble I had with mc, I'm going to stick with slink until I can
start building packages. Then I can keep the library skew under control.

> > I am still having some interesting problems.
> >
> > 1. Even with the 2.2.1 kernel, the iso9660 file system doesn't seem to
> > work right. For example I can ls files that find and cp will fail to see.
>
> Dunno... I don't get this.

I'm not sure what is wrong, but since I can ftp from the Intel machine, I
don't need to use the CD for transfers.

> > 2. Installed all the dependencies for midnight commander from potato. mc
> > intalled ok, but gave a bunch of library linkage failures on attempting
> > execution. I was a bit concerned that libc6 is listed twice. Is this
> > caused by library mismatch?
>
> Not sure here, either.  Sorry.

I was able to resolve it by installing the mc from slink (and its
dependencies).

I have enough tools installed to try to build a kernel. I have the
upstream source for 2.2.7 (I never build from a Debian package), but when
I try to build it I get:

rm -f kernel.o
ld -m elf64_sparc  -r -o kernel.o signal.o ksyms.o sched.o dma.o fork.o exec_domain.o panic.o printk.o sys.o module.o exit.o itimer.o info.o time.o softirq.o resource.o sysctl.o acct.o capability.o kmod.o
ld: cannot open linker script file ldscripts/elf64_sparc.xr: No such file or directory
make[2]: *** [kernel.o] Error 1

but /usr/lib/ldscripts/elf64_sparc.xr _does_ exist.

Do I have a broken ld, or what?

Thanks,

Dwarf