Re: More install problems under Ultra10 and tftp...

Dale Scheetz wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Jun 1999, Eric Delaunay wrote:
>
> > Steve Dunham wrote:

> > > The mkswap on the install floppies is broken (doesn't play nice with
> > > 2.2.x kernels), you'll have to do mkswap after the install.
> >
> > You can try my experimental stuff at:
> > ftp://lix.polytechnique.fr/pub/Linux/debian/sparc/exp/disks-sparc/current/
> > It is based on 2.2.7 kernel and have new mkswap util.
> > (the 2.2.7 kernel here is somewhat buggy for sparc32 due to pci stuff compiled
> > in, but the ultra one should work).
> >
> I had several problems with these disks, and still don't have a base
> system installed:
>
> 1. No ISO9660 support, so I could do a CD install.
>
>     Work around: I fell back to a kernel _with_ support and copied the
>                  needed files to a disk partition.
>
> 2. For either "Hard disk" or "Mounted" access methods, when the image file
>    is finaly found, the install croaks and returns to the initial "color
>    choice" screen. The kernel is not extracted from the disk image.
>
>    Investigation: The only file system supported by the kernel is ext2.
>                   The kernel also fails to support the loop device, so
>                   the rescue image file can not be mounted even if msdos
>                   support _were_ provided by the kernel, which it isn't.

Hmm, very bad news.  This kernel was sent to me by Steve Dunham.
Steve, are iso9660 & loop devices now supported by 2.2.9 kernel from potato ?
(also check nfsroot, rarp, bootp, serial console, ... to be sure).

> 3. Built a rescue disk as a floppy. The floppy access method says that it
>    can't mount the floppy. No kernel installed.
>
>    Investigation: On second VC, tried to mount the floppy manually:
>
>                   mount -t ext2 /dev/fd0 /floppy
>
>    returns the error:
>
>                   Mount: /dev/fd0 is not a block device
>
>    However, /proc/devices lists fd under block devices, and /dev contains
>    an entry for the device.
>
>    I _can_ mount the floppy on my Intel Debian box, and see the contents
>    of the disk, so it is probably the install program that isn't doing the
>    mount correctly...
>

> Which returns me to my earlier question:
>
> How do I extract the contents of a tftpboot.img file? If I can get the
> pieces parts from the same image that I boot from, I should be able to
> install them by hand. Right now, the image that I have a full set from
> isn't functional enough to extract the individual components for me to do
> this.
>
> BTW, it seems that 'cp -r' doesn't work right on these disks either. It
> places the contents of a lower directory into the current working
> directory, and stalls on files that it claims are not in the directory,
> which actually are there! It was a major chore moving the necessary files
> from the CD to the hard disk. BTW this was on the 2.2.1 image file, not
> the 2.2.7 one.
>
> I am certain that if someone can tell me how to extract the contents from
> a tftpboot.img file, I can get past these problems.

The kernel is not extracted from tftpboot.img by dboostrap but from one of the
resc1440*.bin image (either from floppy drive, or cdrom or even from the net).

You can do full net install if you configure the network before performing
"Install kernel & drivers" step.  Then you select this item and see new "NFS"
entry at the end of the list of available sources.  Of course, you have to put
resc1440*.bin, drv1440*.bin & base*.tgz on an available NFS server on your net.

Hope this helps you.

Thanks for your report.
I will try to build new bootdisks based on 2.2.9 soon.