Re: About Debian Ultra Sparc Port

Paulo Henrique Baptista de Oliveira <baptista@cos.ufrj.br> writes:

>        Hi Debian users,
>         Some days ago I saw an announcemnt about Sparc frozen in Debian
> Slink.
> This is great. But, arrived 2 Ultra 5 Sparcs at my work lab. At first, I

> installed Slowlaris :) and the second I will install Linux (Debian).
>         Can anyone point me how I install Linux at an Ultra 5 Sparc?
>         I'm wondering if I can install Debian at Ultra and have the
> same Debian quality that I have with my PCs with Debian. ;)
>         Have a nice day,                Paulo Henrique

I'm typing this through an XEmacs session running on a Ultra 5 running
Debian.

If you know how to do a tftp install, you can use the install images
at:

  ftp://ftp.cse.msu.edu/pub/debian/install

and brief instructions at:

   http://www.cse.msu.edu/~dunham/debian/sparc/ultra.html

You will also need to get an X server from the same location, and grab
bintuils and "egcs64" from:

  ftp://ftp.cse.msu.edu/pub/debian/build

if you want to build a kernel.

The system is quite stable, although the Ultra 5 has very little video
memory.  The best you can do if you don't like 256 colors is
1152x900x16bits.

I've put my XF86Config file up at the same site.  (You have to come up
with one by hand - you can use "fbset -x" to dump the timing
information from the console.)

Let me know if you need any help getting Debian installed on your
UltraSparc.

Steve
dunham@cse.msu.edu