Re: New modutils for Sparc/Ultra

Christian Meder <meder@isr.uni-stuttgart.de> writes:

> On Sat, Dec 19, 1998 at 08:54:20PM -0500, Steve Dunham wrote:

> > Christian Meder <meder@isr.uni-stuttgart.de> writes:
> > > Could you give me a list what you'll be working on. So we don't
> > > duplicate efforts ?

> > If you're building shared libraries, it would be nice if you used
> > glibc-2.0.105.  A couple of symbols (_IO_* and popen) changed version
> > numbers, and a couple won't link (at compile time) with the newer libc
> > (e.g. xpm, gpm - I've built updated versions, but haven't uploaded it
> > yet.)

> Be sure to check the build logs. We _want_ libc5 compat support for
> xpm and gpm and every other library you compile ;-)

These are fixed now.

While trying to build the UltraSparc server, I noticed that there is
no source for the sparc X servers.  The source package with the same
version and revision number contains no sparc support.

What do you want to do about this?  Ignore the fact that there is no
source, or rebuild X?

A recompile of the Xserver package, including altdev, with FFB and ATI
support added is available at:

  ftp://ftp.cse.msu.edu/pub/debian/X

The version number is 3.3.2.3a-8.2.  I've tested the UltraSparc
support.  I still need to test the altdev stuff and Sparc20 support.
I don't plan on uploading this, unless it is well tested and there is
a consensus.  (X is large and complicated.)  But we should make the
source available.

I got the libc5 stuff working on the Ultra, a different version of
ld-linux.so.1 is needed on the Ultras.  I'll look into merging the
changes with the debian ld.so package.  (The Ultrapenguin package
includes both the sun4[cdm] and sun4u loaders and symlinks the correct
one to ld-linux.so.1 in the post-install script.  All architectures
use the same ld-linux.so.2 loader.)

I've also got the new binutils ready, I have to contact the
maintainer.  Still have to do the kernel package, and find a way to
get the two X servers into the dist.  Then package tilo and tweak the
install program.  After which, Debian sparc should install on all
sparc systems out of the box.

If necessary, we can provide a seperate install directory, but it
wouldn't be hard to make it so it can install on both.  I already have
a tftpboot image (made with tilo) that works on any sparc system.

We probably will have to keep my tftp image seperate, since I'm
using a 2.1.x kernel, and, when I last checked, the consensus was to
use a 2.0.x kernel.

I would however like to get the new modutils in the install image,
and, if possible, make the install program smart enough to install the
right kernel.  One option is to install both kernels, silo knows how
to detect the architecture and use the right kernel.

Steve
dunham@cse.msu.edu