Re: New modutils for Sparc/Ultra

Christian Meder <meder@isr.uni-stuttgart.de> writes:

> On Fri, Dec 18, 1998 at 08:37:29PM -0500, Steve Dunham wrote:
> > Wichert Akkerman <wakkerma@cs.leidenuniv.nl> writes:

> > > New packages are waiting in incoming.

> > Ok, the current status is:

> >   The modutils that work on both sparc32 and sparc64 are incoming.
> >   glibc_2.0.105 for the sparc is in Incoming (fixes netscape problems)
> >   egcs_1.1.1 for the Sparc is in Incoming
> >      (brings sparc up to date with i386, and lets you link C++ programs
> >       after upgrading your libc)

> Great. Could you use dupload to upload the stuff or at least send an
> announcement to debian-devel-changes for every uploaded package so the
> others can track what you are doing ?

I'll give it a try, last time I looked at dupload (over a year ago),
it didn't support ssh.  But I guess I can use ftp.

> > I've verified that all of these work on both sparc32 and sparc64 and
> > that the new libraries from both glibc and egcs are backwards
> > compatible with both C and C++ programs.

> Cool.

> > I will be uploading other out of date packages RSN.  (xfig, transfig,
> > sendmail, which has problems anyways, etc.)

> Could you give me a list what you'll be working on. So we don't
> duplicate efforts ?

If you're building shared libraries, it would be nice if you used
glibc-2.0.105.  A couple of symbols (_IO_* and popen) changed version
numbers, and a couple won't link (at compile time) with the newer libc
(e.g. xpm, gpm - I've built updated versions, but haven't uploaded it
yet.)

What I've been doing is run a script that compares i386 and sparc
Packages files and prints out of date and missing packages.

I've done bsdgames, bsdmainutils, bsdutils,bzip2, findutils, gpm, jed,
ncurses, minicom, transfig, vtwm, wmaker, and xpm so far.  I'll upload
them with dupload a little later.

I've having trouble with "xfig", gcc complains that va_start is being
called with too few arguements, even though the macro is defined for
both 1 and 2 arguments.  (xfig is a missing package that we need.)

I can't get libtricks or fakeroot to work at all.

I had some problems with sendmail with both libc 2.0.100 and 2.0.105,
which when away when I compiled the latest version, so I will compile
and upload that too.

I also fixed strace and forwarded the patches to wichart, I will
recompile when he releases the new source package.

Aside from that, I think I'll slow down and just work on the sparc64
aware binutils, UltraSparc X servers, and 64-bit kernel packages.

Steve
dunham@cse.msu.edu