Re: New modutils for Sparc/Ultra

Wichert Akkerman <wakkerma@cs.leidenuniv.nl> writes:

> Previously Steve Dunham wrote:
> > It's a single modutils package that works on both systems, using a
> > hack from UltraPenguin.  I'm passing the patches on to the official
> > maintainer now.

> New packages are waiting in incoming.

Ok, the current status is:

  The modutils that work on both sparc32 and sparc64 are incoming.
  glibc_2.0.105 for the sparc is in Incoming (fixes netscape problems)
  egcs_1.1.1 for the Sparc is in Incoming
     (brings sparc up to date with i386, and lets you link C++ programs
      after upgrading your libc)

I've verified that all of these work on both sparc32 and sparc64 and
that the new libraries from both glibc and egcs are backwards
compatible with both C and C++ programs.

I will be uploading other out of date packages RSN.  (xfig, transfig,
sendmail, which has problems anyways, etc.)

On the Ultra front, I need to do binutils next, then kernel packages
and then the X servers.  At that point I'll make install images and
Debian will be easy to install on both Sparc32 and Sparc64.

Steve
dunham@cse.msu.edu