Using an autotools based build system for Lapack, refblas

Dear Debian toolchain,

During my exploration, I came across this interesting observation,
told to me by a Gentoo user. Gentoo have a patch which actually
converts the refblas and Lapack distributions to an autotools based
system, like so:
http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/gentoo-x86/sci-libs/lapack-reference/files/lapack-reference-3.1.1-autotools.patch?view=markup

I actually tried it, and it seems to be another neat way to handle the
package builds. It also adds entries to pkg-config, and is quite
nice. The familiar F77=gfortran ./configure does the job.

Though it may not be too useful in the Debian context, I still am
trying it out, and must say that it does a good job. If it is used,
it'll probably make the debian/rules a lot cleaner. However, we may
have to repackage the tarball on new upstream releases. What do you
say about this?

Thanks.

Kumar
--