Re: prototype announcemet for gcc-2.95.2

On Thu, Oct 21, 1999 at 03:15:46PM +0200, J.H.M. Dassen Ray" wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 21, 1999 at 14:44:37 +0200, Matthias Klose wrote:
> > see http://egcs.cygnus.com/ml/gcc/1999-10/msg00493.html
> >
> > should -fstrict-aliasing be enabled by default for Debian?
>
> We have it enabled in the current packages, and I've not seen complaints
> about it, so IMHO it would be reasonable to have it enabled for 2.95.2 as
> well.

OTOH, upstream will know that -fno-strict-aliasing is the default for 2.95 now,
and not worry about putting it in the makefile. Developers either won't realize
it and cause bugs in Debian that don't exist elsewhere, or turn it off as a
defensive measure, thus defeating the purpose. strict-aliasing bugs have been
very hard to find without an indepth search through the source. It seems
dangerous not to follow the upstream in this.

David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org